Tuesday, November 17, 2009

My God

Please, I pray, my God art thou,
Art thou a lover? My heart is weak,
This one thing, I pray, I bow,
Show me this one thing I truly seek.

My God, thou hast loved more then I can,
Thou hast suffered e’en more then I as well,
Thou knowest that I am the weakest of men,
In my pains thou art God, this thing I can tell.

I can breathe this day by the grace of my God,
I wonder why He still offers it me,
I’ve vowed many oft times I’d break down this façade,
But I’m still in the tempest of a turbulent sea.

I walk with a thorn buried deep in my side,
It penetrates more than just skin,
Grateful am I for in thee I confide,
My King, my God, my Savior from sin.

I’m weak, I’m pained, I’m suffering so,
Wilt thou deliver me from this thing,
If my sufferings will so help other though,
Then I glory in this, I’ll praise thee and sing.

In this time of lament, and this painful state,
I’ve come closer to thee more than ever I’m sure,
I’m sorry to say though that I have come late,
But at least my hands are clean and pure.

Please, I pray, my God wilt thou,
Explain to me why I am so weak,
“Your weakness is there so you may know how,
To find answers to the things that you truly seek.”

Please, I pray, my God, I’m pained,
I’m hurting so badly, me, you have forsook,
“I do understand and you I’ve sustained,
My dearest angels have recorded your tears in my holy book.

“O, my child, if you could but see,
The things that for you are in store,
O, be wise, remember what you’ve seen,
Your trials will ascend you to my very door.”

“As the glints of memory that span your mind,
It will seem to you as all but a dream,
I know the pains, the sufferings, the laments of this kind,
Will be done in a flash to you it will seem.

The rewards are greater than the pains will ever be,
Just know this and in patience bear,
Your trials will strengthen you and set you free,
And then you’ll be blest with a love to share.

O, please Father, my God art thou,
Art thou a lover? Then let me see,
I’m weak, I’m pained, I’m hurting now,
But I know that thou still lovest me.

-Jacob Winterfeldt

No comments:

Post a Comment