Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Symbols

I sigh as I stare out upon the place,
From my exalted height I gaze into the night sky,
A somber look comes across my face,
As I relate the city lights to the stars so high.

Almost like a mirror we mimic the heavens,
A symbiotic link with our body and soul,
Inherent, we yearn for our divine heritage,
The symbolism I think can be unfathomable.

Yet simple as well to attract the gaze
Of those who wander on paths in the haze,
For the soul’s desire is simple you see,
To love and be loved, to be heavenly.

Everything in this life so testifies of
Truth that is light and of an eternal true course,
That’s why the greatest of men speak truths to us
In parables that reflect the shine from its source.

“I was blind but now I see,” Has now suddenly
Shined a light on this source from which I echo,
Even a physical ache does symbolically
Represents a true pain, of this thing I do know.

In the end we all want to be like our Father,
E’en though we all stray away from Him,
But just like a shallow, free flowing river of water,
We end in an ocean where we realize the depths of the sin we’re in.

Everything in our essence pulls us toward light,
And O, the pain in this life that is caused
By heeding the tenacious fires so bright,
But in the fog a light only makes us more lost.

As a chiasmus I try to bring this around,
Symbolizing a loop as eternity goes,
As a mirror I relate the lights that surround,
The city our bodies and the stars our souls.

-Jacob Winterfeldt

No comments:

Post a Comment