Tuesday, August 10, 2010

When no one is there...

Well, here we go…Whelp, I’m bored with that idea… Next!

Have you, my dear reader, ever thought about what a thing does when no one is watching? I have kind of been hired as a keeper of the ol’ Winterfeldt house for a few weeks while my dad is out of town, (SC I might add,) and a thing happened that got me to thinking on this topic. Now, I’ve always been fascinated by this… I don’t think there is any word or term for it but I love thinking about what happens to things or places when no one is watching, when rooms are left empty, when objects just sit all alone with no witnesses to their existence. Now, this is the question, are they there when no one else is there to see them? Of course they are… but what do they do? It’s like that one old saying, when a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it does it make a sound? Of course it does, right? But there is no way to prove it. We have to act on faith that the laws of physics act the same way when people are or aren’t watching, regardless of either. To an extent I believe this must be true, however I also believe that things most definitely act differently when no one is watching. Do you do the same things when you are alone as opposed to being around other people? Some things, yes, but everyone behaves differently when they are alone even if it be just the slightest things so why should this be any different with empty rooms or solitary objects? Well, here is a story for you to think on,

I drive up to the outside of the house with camera ‘round neck and admire the newly constructed eight feet we added onto the old, tiny house of the woods. I put my, on loan, Expedition in park, turn off the engine, get out and walk the premise of the area. Everything looks to be in order, so far. Well, I continued into the house that I had cleaned and locked down the previous night. I then headed down the long, creaky, dark, sloped corridor that is sixty year old basement steps and what do I see at the bottom? Well, what else would I see? A lamp that I specifically remembered turning off the night before because it was one of those funny lamps that you touch the sides of to turn on and off and increase or decrease the brightness of it, standing upright on the floor next to the dresser it was supposed to be sitting on while brightly shinning at its highest light capacity! Hmm… Well how in the world would that have happened, I thought to myself. Then, like a child excited to dive into a huge bowl of chocolate ice cream my mind turned to the ghost that haunts that basement! Yes, it’s true, there have been vivid stories told from many o’ family members that have stayed in those rooms down there. No one is sure who it is that haunts that place but one of my favorite ideas comes from my dad who said once he thought it might be the dog… Wow, that’s right a dog ghost, but I have my doubts now because I don’t believe a live dog could reach up and set a lamp on the floor upright let alone a ghost one. I think it might be my Great Grandpops but I don’t know. So, I turned the lamp off and set it back on the dresser and am promptly going to check it in the morning.
This might be a ghost story but the whole original thought of this entry isn’t specifically referring to the otherworldly. I am simply asking the question, How do we know the grass is green when we blink?
In Amy and Bruce’s house in New London there is a monitor screen that shows three different security camera views from around their house, and this might be really creepy or strange of me, but often when I’m there I find myself just starring at the screens at night when nothing is supposed to be happening. I don’t know if I am waiting for something strange to happen because no one is technically watching… Or if I just, for some reason enjoy observing the still of the night that is three in the morning. I can’t explain how intriguing this little, dumb thing is to me. I mean, right now, what is happening in the empty room next to me, or the house in the woods? Things are just being. Existing with no witnesses, are they really there or does the world, like the Truman Show only fill in the blanks when you walk by or look at something. Where is that lamp now and why is it where it is at?
When it comes down to it though I can’t say there are no witnesses in unoccupied space because there is no space, and there is no place with no witnesses. Don’t mind me while I drastically change the topic one hundred and eighty degrees, but the trees witness, the walls witness, the rocks and the dirt witness. Everything that is, is a witness to goodness or wickedness. This is a true belief that I wish more people understood. Everything is a recorder of truth. If we elaborate our thoughts on this concept, everything in the gospel that people don’t understand becomes much more understandable and realistic. I’ve talked about what is, “Real” before and I must say that that is something determined in the mind of the person who thinks upon it. Everyone is here on Earth, but everyone is living in a different world. Think for example about how you see the world around you, now if you could pull yourself away from yourself and try to conceive the idea of how Pre. Monson sees it, or even just another close friend or family member, same Earth, but completely different worlds for everyone occupying it.
Nikola Tesla was a genius, a beacon of light living in a literally dark world. He is relatively unrecognized for his remarkable contributions to our modern day life. His biggest thought was that power could be transferred through the air in electrical fields. This picture of him is him lighting a light bulb simply by holding it in his hand. People thought he was tapping into the very powers of God and didn’t accept him for his prowess. He was simply ahead of his time. even by todays standards. People like this were the ones that were burnt at the stake in medieval times. The blessed, and the thinkers and understanderers of how things truly work. Look this man up. He truly is remarkable.

I often feel like we live in a blind world and relate it to how an earthworm navigates. It doesn’t have eyes or ears but it can move through the dirt to nourish its self, to feed its degreed level of existence. We are simply on a higher level, but still blind. When I think about how light work, this life becomes so unbelievable. This is what I mean when I try and describe what reality is because of a lot of the properties of light itself. Did you know that people who spend a lot of time in airplanes age slower than those who don’t? It is because time ticks slower the faster you go. What? It’s true. I don’t know the exact calculations but if you set two clocks to the same time, leave one on the ground and take the other one and fly around the world with it back to the first clock and compare the two, the one on the ground will be ahead of the one that took the plane, because time went slower for the one going faster. Now, what implications does this example have on the way the gospel works and how God himself operates? It is extremely complicated but extremely fascinating and astounding to think on. I’ve talked a lot about this before but I don’t think one can ever talk enough about the topic. There is so much out there and so much more to learn and understand. We live in world where we naturally try to get by with what we have when in reality we can’t fathom what we really do have or use hardly any of what is there for us to use. This is why I feel like I am blind, living in a dark world. If we could only adjust our eyes somehow and see the very fabric of light and time and space who knows how much of the things we think we know are true might be defeated. We try and make everything level when building houses but in the grand scheme of the universe our houses are as crooked as a broken leg. If we could but see, if we could just understand that what we do see isn’t what is there. Only to our understanding it is there and our understanding is what we take into our bodies.
So, now my dear readers, do you want the red or the blue pill? Just know either way, there is no spoon…

K, that was stupid, ha, I almost feel bad for ending it that way but I’m keeping it.

No comments:

Post a Comment